Devoirs Anglais 1ère année Secondaire Mrs Wafa Ayoub (Introductory Unit 4th formers) Phrasal verbs : Also called multiword verbs. They consist […]
Devoirs Anglais 1ère année Secondaire
Mrs Wafa Ayoub (Introductory Unit 4th formers)
Phrasal verbs :
Also called multiword verbs. They consist of 2 or 3 parts. The first part is a verb followed by an adverb or a preposition. Every time we change the preposition or the adverb, the root verb changes meaning. E.g. to look (the root) ______ to see / to look for_________ to search / to look after _________ to care.
**Activity : replace the underlined expressions by the appropriate phrasal verb from the list.don’t forget to put them in the right tense (there is an extra item)
- I have to get up early , as I need to begin my journey at 4.00am.
- She started crying when she heard the bad news.
- I have good relations with my employees. They feel that the company is theirs.
- You must continue trying even if you fail in several attempts.
- If you want to enjoy a luxurious holiday you have to save a considerable sum of money.
- What happened?
- The appointment was delayed because the chief manager was ill.
|Put off _ (be) going on_ put aside_ put away_ set off _ break down _ get on well_ carry on|
- II) Collocations :
(to collocate :v) it is the way a group of words tend to collocate /belong together:
E.g.: lifestyle / blue eyes.
**Activity : use words from the lists below to form appropriate collocations (answer on your notebooks)
A: fast /rapid /class / apply for /staggering /high/ low/make/ delivery /quick.
B : boy/ room /rate /rank/ amount/ mates /car/ reply/ change/a job .
III) Idioms :
An idiom is a phrase which meaning is different from the meaning of the separate words .
e.g : give me a hand =help me.
**Activity : Match an idiom from (A) with its appropriate meaning from (B)
(Mrs Wafa Ayoub)
|1. This is not my cup of tea.
2. It is raining cats and dogs outside
3. My father is the breadwinner for the family
4. She finished her work in the blink of an eye.
5. I found this job difficult , but we are all in the same boat ,We are all learning.
6. I find that your idea is a half baked one.
|a. hasty/not carefully thought about.
b. in a very short time
c. be in the same difficult situation.
e. Affords for the family needs
f. Not my favourite item /story
Reading Figures :
1000: a /one thousand.
1000000: a/one million
½ a/one half. 1/3 a/one third . ¼ a /one quarter
6:30 half past six ( time)
- seven point eighty five
250,000,000 two hundred fifty million.